Monday, April 03, 2006

Van Horn Is Done

Well, no more Keith Van Horn. He broke his hand going for a steal against Orlando. He wants to recover in time for the playoffs, but I don't see that happening. This guy just stays injured. I hate to see it happen. I think he could really help us in the post-season. Unfortunately I don't even see him playing another game as a Dallas Maverick. He will be a free agent this summer, and seeing how injury-prone he is and how his production has gone down the last couple of seasons, it's doubtful the Mavs will re-sign him. So what now? I'm intrigued by the names that are popping up to possibly replace Van Horn for the remainder of the season and post-season: Shawn Kemp, Christian Laettner, and...Karl Malone??? I'm interested to see what happens, but I wouldn't expect too much from whoever may get signed. With Van Horn out, that leaves Josh Powell as Dirk's backup at power forward. Granted, Powell is a rookie, and rookies are not always reliable in the playoffs. But if you think about it, Dirk will be playing 40 minutes a night in the post-season. That only leaves around 8 minutes in regulation with Dirk not on the floor. I'm okay with Powell picking up a few minutes, then giving the rest to Howard, who can move from the 3 to the 4 position. And when going small, guys like Daniels and Griffin move to a bigger position. DJ Mbenga might even play a few minutes at the 4 in a big line-up. Signing a new player would be good for insurance purposes...you never know who else could get injured. But I'm not going to get too excited about it. Internally, I think we still have a very good team even without Van Horn.

1 Comments:

Anonymous mara said...

will, ur passion for the mavs is awsome!

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home