Friday, June 16, 2006

Mavs vs. Heat, NBA, AND ABC?

The 2-0 series lead is gone. All of a sudden Miami has tied it up, and they have the momentum. Jerry Stackhouse has been wrongly suspended for a hard foul against Shaq, who by the way didn't even complain about the foul. I would not have liked to been around A.J. today. He has decided to move the team to a hotel 45 minutes away from Miami Beach. This is to help make sure the players are staying in the hotel and are completely focused on the game. And today Johnson was lashing out at the league for Stackhouse's suspension, saying that there is no consistency in these decisions and that some players are clearly favored over others. I can't help but wonder if this has something to do with a bias by the NBA towards the more popular, marketable team. The Miami Heat, with Shaquille O'Neal, Dwayne Wade, Antoine Walker, Gary Payton, etc. is a team full of outspoken superstars whose jerseys sell, sell, and sell. The NBA and ABC want this series to be drawn out as long as possible for ratings purposes. And with the crew I just mentioned, the Heat are the preferred team to win. I don't want to get too hung up on conspiracies, because that's too typical of a team that's slipping. And I won't deny the fact that Miami outplayed us in every single way during Game 4. We stunk. Game 3 was in our favor until the last 6 minutes or so. So give Miami the credit they deserve. I thought their defense was outstanding in Game 4. And Dwayne Wade has been Jordan-like since the 4th quarter of Game 3. But I do question Stackhouse's suspension. That was not a flagrant foul worth suspension. It was a hard foul in the biggest series in the NBA. The whole Finals philosophy is "No easy baskets!" This is too critical of a time to be suspending players who really don't deserve it. Stu Jackson (the guy who decided to suspend Stack) is the one who needs to be suspended...for such a potentially devastating decision. I just hope it has nothing to do with the Heat being favored by the NBA and the ABC network.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Mara said...

There really is no consistency in the league's decisions. After you told me about Stackhouse I went and looked up what I could find about his suspension, and I have to say that it is a more than questionable decision. But despite Stack's suspension I still have faith in the Mavs. We really are the better team, and I hope that comes through in Game 5, with or without Stack. We'll see what happens Sunday

9:45 PM  
Blogger Will said...

Great comment Mara! Yeah, I'm hoping that Stack's suspension will spark something in the team. I expect Marquis to be given more minutes tomorrow night, so we'll see how he and the rest of the team do.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home